Thursday, August 25, 2011

New School Year, New Bulletin Board, New Language

I love trying to come up with cute, clever bulletin boards for the new group of first graders. This year I grabbed some scrapbooking paper, scissors, glue, and branches from a vase in my living room...and got to work!

I traced, cut out, and glued all the birds. I stapled the branches onto the bulletin board and printed out the letters from the computer.
You might be wondering about all the Chinese characters on the board. I am doing something a little a lot different this year. I am teaching a Mandarin Chinese immersion class this year. Well, Mrs. Chu, my new sidekick from China, teaches the Chinese part (duh). She teaches math, science, and social studies completely in Chinese. It sounds kinda crazy and a little intimidating, but really, it's ah-MAZ-ing! The kids have already caught on so fast and are speaking some Chinese! Even I can count to ten, ask to get water, and say "microscope" in our new language!
I'm excited to see how the rest of the year will play out - I know it will be great!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for linking up- what a cute board and an amazing concept of the dual language class!

    :)
    Christina
    Mrs. Bainbridge's Blog

    ReplyDelete